Published by the Tax Institute, the SMSF Income Stream Guide is a unique national publication that comprehensively reviews the superannuation, tax and general law issues relating to the commencement, maintenance and ultimately the cessation of SMSF income streams. It is the definitive text for professionals dealing with SMSF income streams.
The third edition of the Guide highlights a number of legal and regulatory developments that have arisen since the publication of the first edition in March 2017, and the second edition of May 2018. It also details emerging practice trends and strategies that have developed as advisers and trustees become more familiar with the transfer balance cap regime.
The third edition includes new material on the following areas:
- life insurance proceeds used in conjunction with income stream death benefit strategies;
- contribution reserves in the context of the Commissioner’s recent concerns;
- commentary on correcting underpayments of minimum annual pension amounts;
- revisiting the use of non-reversionary pensions to achieve succession planning objectives;
- further commentary on the developing role of attorneys in SMSFs;
- an update on the Commissioner’s view on the conversion of a TRIS into a retirement phase income stream;
- developments on the downsizer contribution rules in light of recent ATO pronouncements; and
- recent case law in the context of BDBNs.
The discussion in the Guide is supplemented by numerous case studies, practical tips and planning aids.
This year the Stream Guide is available as an online subscription and can be purchased through the Tax Institute’s website - click here.