The Fair Work Commission today decided to reduce the penalty rates for working on weekends and public holidays across a number of modern awards.
The awards that were being considered by the Commission were:
- Fast Food Industry Award 2010;
- General Retail Industry Award 2010;
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010;
- Pharmacy Industry Award 2010;
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2010; and
- Restaurant Industry Award 2010.
The changes decided by the Commission were as follows:
The Commission will consider further whether to reduce Saturday rates for the Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2010 and the Pharmacy Industry Award 2010.
The changes introduced to public holidays will commence from 1 July 2017. The commencement date for the remaining changes are yet to be determined, with the Commission inviting further submissions on how these changes should be transitioned.
The decision does not affect modern awards other than the 6 mentioned above.
If you have any questions about the decision or about pay rates generally, please call our Employment and Industrial Relations team.